29.4805° N, 89.6940° W Port Sulphur, Louisiana

This turns into a No Shit ! Sea story

Cajun, Acadian, Creole, Coonass

Cajuns are the French colonists who settled the Canadian maritime provinces (Nova Scotia and New Brunswick) in the 1600s. The settlers named their region "Acadia," and were known as “Acadians.” ... To dominate the region without interference, the British expelled the Acadians, who settled in Louisiana. A Coonass is a Cajun.

In present Louisiana, Creole generally means a person or people of mixed colonial French, African American and Native American ancestry. ... “Cajun” is derived from “Acadian” which are the people the modern day Cajuns descend from.

 This is Zydeco usually played by black Louisiana Creoles.

There was a settlement near Port Sulphur when I was inshore oilfield and commercial diving, early 70s.

Link

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8SRh3Ft/

Titbits 

There was a black Creole settlement near Port Sulphur,  Where I first started commercial oilfield diving, early 70s. Working inshore, all shallow water, mudhole jobs, honing my 'total no visibility, work by feel with oilfield equipment skills.

The Creoles worked on stinking Pogie boats that spotted large schools of Menhaden fish/Pogie, from the air. The boats would run a long net around the big schools and suck the fish into the boat.

At Empire, Plaquemines parish, there was a processing plant that boiled the fish to make fertilizer and other products.  Man, what a stink.....the Creole blackfellas were the only ones that would work on the boats or in the processing plant.

They had their own dialect language and did not mix with the local Coonasses

Disclaimer :- 

Well, me Coonass mate from Buras corrected my inaccuracies, his family is of French descent. He is a history buff and has documented his own family roots.

From Ripper Reppel  '[ Zydeco is from Southwest Louisiana in the area I live in now which they call Acadiana due to all the Acadians coming here after getting kicked out of Canada by the British.  It was started by the French Creole’s. not blacks.  There are Black playing Zydeco though now days.

The area around New Orleans, East Louisiana was a mix of many different people, French, Spanish German, Italian etc. and is famous for Jazz. It is a  misconception most people make that are not from this area that Cajun Music is predominate but it is not. It isn’t even Cajun Country which is to the Westof New Orleans.

I never heard Zydeco until I came over on this end of the State and it was never played down in Plaquemines Parish that I know of when I was growing up.

There were mostly Blacks working the Pogie boats and the plants were in Empire  and they are still there in operation.

We have a friend that is a Captain on one right now. It is a seasonal operation. They make many things out of the Pogie meal and oil.]. 

We use to call the area right out of Buras before you get to where you lived, in Triumph, 'Coon Town'.  It was populated by a lot of Mulatto’s. When I was young they even had their own little school that was run by Nun’s.

What was called Sunrise was right before Empire and they had a school there for the Blacks. River Road where my Grandma and Grampa lived was mixed. Mostly White People but some Mulatto’s also.

They were all good people who worked hard, not like some of the blacks and others  today.

 We use to call the area right out of Buras before you get to where you lived Coon Town.

It was populated by a lot of Mulatto’s. When I was young they even had their own little school that was run by Nun’s.

What was called Sunrise was right before Empire and they had a school there for the Blacks.

 The River Road where my Grandma and Grampa lived was mixed. Mostly White People but some Mulatto’s also.

They were all good people who worked hard, not like some of the blacks and others  today.

I had some of the best times of my life working at the mouth of the Mississippi river and got in with the locals.  As well as the new work experiences the locals took care of me.  I was a one man diving operation with my own shallow water surface diving equipment, diving helmet, hose, compressor and radio, in an old '66 Dodge van. The local families made sure I had enough work to survive. 

If it was a bad month and I had not made enough to pay rent and expenses, they would 'create' a cash job for me.   One of the local crewboat or tugboat deckhands would feed the large nylon towline overboard until it fouled the propellor, the Captain would then rev engine and wind the rope around prop and shaft. Sometimes it could take up to 10 hours or do to cut that rope out of the prop.

Then Mr Nick Zuvich, would get his rent money and I would have enough to pay bills and expenses. They were very fair, did not give me money....I had to work bloody hard to make $200.

I would come home, absolutely buggered after spending all day diving in a mudhole and find some shrimp, crabs, or oysters on me front step.



Comments

Post a Comment